Friday, August 24, 2012

Blueberry pomegranate salad dressing and a berry smoothie

 According to Dr. Fuhrman, berries are among the best foods you can eat, they are some of the highest antioxidant foods you can eat. They have been linked to reduced risk of diabetes, cancers and high blood pressure. They are also great brain-food, they've been proven to improve motor coordination and memory. I honestly do feel since I've increased my berry consumption that it has helped me in school. The skill that I am working to perfect in Court Reporting School involves a high level of motor coordination, you wouldn't believe the things we have to do with our fingers. It reminds me of the game Twister but for your fingers. 
Every day at lunch I have my kale salad and smoothie which makes me incredibly full. After I finish the both, I don't need to eat anything else which is SO helpful because then I don't ever go after the junk food anymore. 

I rarely like to have store-bought salad dressings because they are usually loaded with sodium, chemicals and fat. I've given the low-fat, "healthy" ones a try and they just taste exactly what they are, store bought. It's also cheaper to make your own and you can load it with nutrient dense ingredients. 
I decided to give a sweet salad dressing a try this time for a change. I came across this one on Dr. Fuhrman's website. You have to join a membership in order to access all of his recipes but it is 100% worth it, and it's not expensive. 
This one is called Blueberry Pomegranate Dressing. 


      Ingredients:
  •    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries thawed 
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 4 tablespoons blueberry vinegar or any other type of fruit flavored vinegar (I used raspberry wine vinegar)
 Blend all together in a high powered blender until smooth. 

I poured mine over kale, as usual. I'm sure it would go great with any other type of leafy green, such as romaine lettuce. 




   As for my smoothie, it may sound a bit odd of a combination, but I assure you that it tastes amazing.
                                                                  
 Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup frozen dark red cherries
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup pineapple
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
  • 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (or any other kind of milk)
  • 1 date
  • handful of almonds
 Blend in high powered blender until smooth.

I know it may sound odd that it randomly has pineapple in it, but I love the tartness and flavor that it adds. I also love having smoothies because it's a great way to get a ton of fruit in quickly. The blender also breaks down the nutrients of the fruits even more so that you absorb more of them.

Enjoy! I would love any feedback if anyone decides to give them a try! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment